Bing A Google?

. Sunday, August 16, 2009
  • Agregar a Technorati
  • Agregar a Del.icio.us
  • Agregar a DiggIt!
  • Agregar a Yahoo!
  • Agregar a Google
  • Agregar a Meneame
  • Agregar a Furl
  • Agregar a Reddit
  • Agregar a Magnolia
  • Agregar a Blinklist
  • Agregar a Blogmarks

Why you might want to pay attention to Bing
This is a dual treat post.

1. Google Reader amps up what your doing and sharing. This post is an example of a newly added feature, at the bottom of your reader posts called "Share to" this feature allows you to send what you find interesting, relevant to multiple social networks and services that you use.
You can send article links to twitter, your Facebook page or in this case your Blogger blog.
How cool is that?

2. For search or even if you are search marketing and looking for categories or vertical ideas, the Bing search engine might present you with a whole slew of keyword, category or related ideas that are searched for within your marketplace or niche.

This article share from DailySEOblog.com explains nicely through screen shots the relevancy of search on the Bing engine.


DailySEOblog.com

5 Humble Reasons why I think Bing is actually better than Google !: "

Okay, lets shake off Google from our “perception” that there could be nothing better than it. We love it, and we knew nothing can get better than Google. But, though its hard to digest, Bing is actually bringing cracks on the wall. Let me not go to the extent saying that Bing outdoes Google..no. Bing performs better than Google in some areas, and that’s a reality. Let’s check.


1. Bing’s Related Search gives you more insight about your original search, its very friendly.


Which is very smart. On Google, you have the related search popping up at the end of the page, but I rarely see them because I’m more focused on the information I’m looking for, so I stay on the top area, and I rarely go down to the end.


Where as in Bing, the related search (which by the way is very relevant) shows up right on the left hand side, unobtrusively, and readily serves my purpose.


bing-google-1


Google Screenshot: Showing the related search towards the bottom, which are often not found.


bing-google-2



2. Bing gives me more options to choose from when I search for a product, Google doesn’t even bother.


Most of the time, Bing is really good when I search for products. It somehow “detects” that I’m looking for a product. And we all love product comparisons, and Bing shows me all the possible options, saving me a few clicks and time.


bing-google-3


Google, on the other hand fails to detect products that I’m searching for, and gives me less options when compared to Bing. It shows images only when it detects a familiar query related to images or when I use strings that relate to images in my original query.



3. Many a times, Bing is more intelligent than Google if not powerful.


Have you noticed it ? Even though I’ve found that Bing does not give you precisely relevant results, it understands your query better than Google. Look at the following screenshot, where it gives me relevant results based on my original query.


bing-google-4



And now, see what Google gives me.


bing-google-5


Wait..I know what you’re thinking. They are relevant indeed, but if you think of it from a end user perspective, I’d relate more with terms suggested by Bing, than Google when I’m searching for “Buy Nikon D 80” right ?



4. Bing has a cool advanced search menu, don’t even think of using the Google Advanced search !


If you’ve tried Bing you’ll know what I mean. First off, clicking on Bing’s advanced search menu won’t take me to another page with a huge form to fill up (I know it’s not a form but it looks like one, that’s enough to scare me). That itself is a big turn off for me, when using Google advanced search, so I don’t use it at all.


On the other hand Bing has this cute little advanced search menu tucked in at the top neatly, that its a pleasure using it. It doesn’t have anything too technical there, just asks for your search preferences. The site/domain is the only thing at least a little bit “technical” here.


bing-google-6



Check out the Google advanced search “panel / page”


bing-google-7


If I knew how all this advanced AND, OR thing worked, I would’ve found the site – bought the camera already. I’m trying a basic..simple search, this is too technical.



5. Bing saves me a lot of time and energy. Google is sluggish.


You know the crux of an efficient search engine would be to deliver the best result in the lest possible time, right ? In that case, Google is sluggish. Bing has this excellent site preview tool, that saves me loads of time, because I don’t have to actually visit the site and make another judgement about the site is trustworthy or not.


In Google, it only points me to the site / sites and leaves the rest to me. I have to visit each site, and find out if the guys is trust worthy or not. Takes away lots of my time.


Bing on the other hand is like this friendly guide who says – “Mani, here are these 3 sites which are about the thing you searched, and here’s a preview of them, don’t waste your time going through, I know that this guy on the top is really good – check him out! ”


And I gladly would go for his recommendation, saves a lot of time and energy (and clicks).


bing-google-8



So, there you go. Five reasons why I think Bing could be a better search engine than Google. I agree that Google is bigger, better index, powerful and all that but sometimes, being big isn’t enough. There are these seemingly small things that might make a big difference.


P.S – I took my SEO hat off while writing this, if you know what I mean.


Bing appears to really be a "thinking engine" Interesting thought to consider for your websites and communication materials:

1. Could it be that if you rank in Bling that it is an indication to good content, search friendly but most importantly a Understanding of What your audience Wants?

2. From the above, is a top ranked Bling, interperated as high quality in google for the same terms? It appears that Bing does put slightly more weight on domains with keywords, and inbound link weight, (bigger commercial vs. small site) as well as frequency of term & variation in title.

3. For super sluths note when you roll over a result - to the right a line appears - rollover that. Its a nice freebie for checking out keyword frequency and related terms for top rankers within their on site metas and page discriptions.

3. If you own a website you might want to take the time to submitt your site to Bing if as reported more users find search results more relevant than in google (which is what made google popular in the first place) indexed early is a good thing rather than waiting for them to crawl your site.

0 comments: